(That's ten years ago, for those of you keeping score.)
If you are like me, and the years are starting to blur together, here are some random events from 1999 to give you some perspective:
- The Euro was born
- The first episode of Sponge Bob SquarePants aired
- The DOW crossed 10,000 for the first time (ironic, as we just crossed it again)
- Apple launched the first iBook (not iPhone)
- Exxon completed its merger with Mobil
- JFK Jr. died
- Fight Club and Matrix were top movies
And haven't stopped since.
St. Paul tells us to "Pray without ceasing" (1 Thess 5:17), and the folks at the International House of Prayer in KC have been doing just that.
Ten straight years of prayer. Day and night. 24/7.
I can't even remember watching the Matrix for the first time, and these people have been praising God relentlessly ever since.
And as I think back to some of the silly ways I spent my time over the past ten years, I ask myself, "Who spent their time more wisely, these people or me?"
(Please don't answer that, I already know who.)
May God continue to inspire the folks at the International House of Prayer.
And may they, in turn, continue to be an inspiration for all of us.